Sunday, November 6, 2011

Personal Birthing Experience

I got pregnant with my first child at the young age of 17, and I thought that giving birth was going to be push push and it's over.  I knew that pain was to be expected but I had no idea of all the complications that could occur.  Because of my lack of education on child birth I stayed home in labor for 17 hours because I thought my contractions were "constipation".  When I finally arrived at the hospital I had dilated 6 centimeters, and I was scared to death.  Because I had great insurance I was at one of the best hospitals in Chicago and I thought nothing could possibly go wrong.  Boy was I wrong.  Because I was considered high risk, the care team that I was assigned to consisted of my Obstetrician, 2 RN's, a CNA, and a resident.  The doctor ordered the nurse to check my son's pulse. The procedure to check the pulse required the nurse to vaginal insert a wand the goes on the baby soft spot.  Well the nurse thought it was a great idea to allow the resident to check because this was her first time assisting with labor and delivery.  That was a very BAD idea. The resident jammed the wand so hard it cut the top of my son's head.  Blood was leaking everywhere and I was horrified.  My son went into distress, and that caused my heart rate to decrease, while his increased.  The next thing I know I was surrounded by probably ten to twelve people, being rushed into the OR for an emergency c-section.  I was so high, from all the anesthesia that I could not independently hold my son for three days.  Through it all I gave birth to a perfectly healthy 7lb, 6 oz, 19in baby boy.  At the end of the day I was so blessed and happy that horrible experience left me with a beautiful, precious gift.

~Many children are left physically and mentally handicap from birth complications and i am grateful that this was not the case for me and my baby.~







1 comment:

  1. Nashika,

    Reading your birthing experience really brought me back to my daughter's birth as well. I am so sorry you went through so much, but I am so glad you have a healthy baby boy! Being 17 and pregnant had to be difficult, and adding all of the scary components you went through didn't help the situation either.

    I remember that same wand being inserted to check my daughter's vitals, as well. As a result, she has a hemangeoma (I think I spelled that correctly) on the top of her head. When she was about a year old, it burst and bled everywhere! It is still there, but it isn't filled with the blood now.

    Thank you for posting such a heartfelt blog. Blessings to you!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete