Sunday, October 14, 2012

~Adjourning Stage in Team Development~

Adjourning stage:  the stage of group development in which members reflect on their accomplishments and failures as well as determine whether the group will disassemble or take on another project (O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., 2012).

I believe many people will agree the adjourning stage can sometimes be difficult or seen as a relief.  I personally think this is influenced by the success of the group.  Groups that did not consist of trust and togetherness will probably look forward to dismantling the group.  However,  I believe that they must take the mistakes and mishaps that occurred and use them as learning tools for success in other group work.

On the other hand the groups that worked well together, and accomplished goals may have a difficult time leaving one another.  Many will more than likely decide to work together on another project simply because the trust and commitment is validated already.

The closing rituals that I enjoyed the most is recapping our experiences as a team.  During this time we shared the good, bad , and the ugly; as well as the coulda (could have), wouldas (would haves), and shouldas (should haves).  

I would imagine the adjourning stage from the group of colleagues I have formed while receiving my master's will consist of exchanging best wishes, maybe contact information and thanking one another for sharing personal experiences, perspectives, and advice. 

Reference

O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M.,.  (2012).  Real Communication: An Introduction.  New York:Bedford/St.Martin's. 

1 comment:

  1. You are so right in that the ones that we worked well with and accomplished a great deal will be the hardest groups to leave. I am in the midst of this experience right now. Previously to my current position I worked in a childcare center that was stressful and little respect was offered from upper management. I did not feel bad about leaving that group. It just goes to show how respect and professionalism carry a group towards great things.

    ReplyDelete