Saturday, August 11, 2012

~Welcoming Families From Around the World~

For this assignment I chose Cambodia as the family's country of origin. 






 In preparation for the Cambodian family I will first research the country. I will browse the internet and read books/articles on Cambodian culture, religion, politics, education, etc. After I have gained as much information as possible from outside sources I will then rely on information that I can gain from observing the family. Through observations I can see the dynamics within the family, roles, family culture, and etc. I will also take the initiative to learn the basic greetings and common words of their language.  I will compile a list of local/community resources and I will also try to incorporate their culture in my learning environment.  I will prepare a questionnaire in hopes of getting to know the family and their preferences a little better.  

I hope the steps that I intend to take will help the families transition. As anticipated me and the Cambodian family may worry about communication barriers and misunderstandings. I hope my actions will show the family that I am here to help and is prepared to take the necessary steps to help their child succeed.  In return the family may be more reluctant and open to my help.  Overall, I hope that my actions will make the family feel welcomed and comfortable.  

2 comments:

  1. Hello Nashika

    Family dynamics is very important because it gives us a better understanding of the family. I really enjoyed reading your post. You made some very good suggestions and I think they will will be useful when you are creating a cultural diverse classroom.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nashika,
    That is funny how you chose Cambodia. I just watched a show that was talking about that country today. Observations are a great way to learn about families and their culture. One can learn many things about someone by just watching what they do on a daily basis. I bet I would learn a lot about my own self if I could observe my actions!

    ReplyDelete